Creating a Virtual Location for use with date and time specific opportunities.
While its not a perfect solution, there is a way to create Virtual Volunteer Opportunities that are date and time specific. It requires you to create a record for a 'virtual location'. which you will set in zip code 00000.
First you must add a new Zip Code in Salesforce
This is a one-time speed up an administrator must do. You'll need to add 00000 as a valid zip code to use when creating locations. To do this:
Click on the app selector in the upper left of a lightning page, and type in 'zipcodes" and select the ZipCodes object
Click on "NEW" and create a new zip code record as follows:
- ZipCode = 00000
- State = -- (that's two hyphens)
- StateFullName = Virtual
- City = Virtual
- CityAlias = Virtual
Leave all the other fields blank. Save the record. You'll now be able to create locations that are in the 'virtual' zip code of 00000.
Create a Virtual Location
When creating a date and time specific opportunity that requires a location. Choose or create a Virtual Location. Fill in the location fields with the following:
- Location Name - (anything that describes the virtual location. Could be "Do at Home", or "Virtual Classroom" or just "Virtual Location")
- Street = Virtual
- City = Virtual
- State/Province = -- (two hyphens.... its required to be two characters)
- Zip Postal Code = (lookup the zip code 00000)
- Special Directions =. the real details of the location, whether its the URL for a webinar, a phone number, or just information saying "Do this project at home and email us when you've completed the project." Or provide an address to ship a finished project to. Put in whatever info is useful to describe this 'virtual' location.
The Location will appear as follows on the public site, and on the location details page (in volunteer opportunity overview)
A map won't load here - because there is no such location that google maps can find.