Adding Custom Registration Questions to the Volunteer Registration Form
Additional Registration Questions can be added to the Volunteer Registration Form.
This functionality allows you to capture additional information about volunteers when they first create their account. The answers to these registration questions will be associated with their contact record as a related list:
In HOC 3.0 there is an Advanced Registration System add-on available, that greatly strengthens the ability to ask custom registration questions. It is far more powerful, and unlike the functionality described here, can populate answers to these questions directly on the contact record (rather than in a related object).
The functionality for asking custom 'volunteer registration questions' is still available and therefore this documentation is still relewvant, but for the most part, you'll be better served by using the Advanced Registration System add-on instead.
For those using the original system: here's how Volunteer Registration Questions can be added.
On the Volunteer Sign up Page the final, rolled-up section is called Volunteer Registration Questions
These questions, if present, add a final roll-down section to the registration form. Questions can be of several types including picklists, multi-picklists, radio buttons, checkboxes, date, number or text field. You can rename this section from "Volunteer Registration Questions" if you wish.
To create a Custom Registration Question:
In the control Panel tab, click on 'Vol Registration and Configuration" and in the lower section of the configuration page, click on the button "Create Vol Registration Questions" This will open the Registration Questions object:
The Registration Question object.
1. Available For: Set whether this is a question for volunteer registration (contact) or organization registration. For the volunteer registration page, you should select contact. (NOTE You can also use the form to create custom registration questions for the Organization registration page!
2. Question Type: See the post on custom registration questions for volunteer opportunities for information on the options here.
3. Question Text.
4. This will appear for picklists, checkboxes and radio buttons. List the answers that can be selected, one option per line.
5. The order you want the question to appear. (We recommend using 10, 20, 30 rather than 1, 2, 3. This makes it easier to change the order or add additional questions 'between' existing questions at a later time.
6. Makes a question required
7. Uncheck this box if you wish the question to no longer appear as part of volunteer registration.
Once saved - registration questions will appear as part of registration on your site.
Editing Existing Questions
To edit an existing question, click on the Question ID.
- Avoid too many registration questions as it slows down the registration process and can be annoying to volunteers.
- You can not change the 'type' of question after the question has been created. Simply make the old question inactive, and create a new one to take its place.
- You can edit the text of questions or picklist values at any time (though it will create some inconsistency in the related answers since some people will have answered the same 'question' object, even though the text of the question (or the options for answers) have changed. You may find it better to 'retire' a question (by unchecking the active box) and creating a new question to take its place for future registrations.
- Note: Never Clone questions. Cloned questions will not work and will cause problems on the registration page.
The Answers to these "Volunteer Registration Questions" can be seen on the related list "Registration Answers" on the Contact Record
Answers to registration questions can also be gotten by running the system reports:
- Registration Answers (Contacts)
- Registration Answers (Organizations)
To edit or access registration questions for organizations, click on the + sign in the tabs, and select the object 'Registration Questions"
This will give you access to ALL your registration questions, including organization registration questions:
Disregard last comment - I solved my problem by switching over to Salesforce Classic.