Using the Kiosk to Check in Volunteers
You will be given a URL where your Kiosk is located. The URL can be customized to fit your brand if desired.
For example: Your kiosk URL might look like this:
You can use one or more devices to check in volunteers for a project. These devices can include any combination of:
- Smart Phones
How many you choose to use will depend on how many volunteers you need to check in at that project.
Here's how to activate and use the kiosk onsite:
Share the Kiosk Activation Code with the opportunity coordinator(s)
In order to use the kiosk, the person who is in charge of the device that will be used to check-in volunteers will need to know "Kiosk Activation Code"
(Note: do not share the code with the volunteers attending the project, only the person in charge of the check-in device should be given the access code.)
Go to the Kiosk URL and activate
When you first arrive at the kiosk URL you'll see the "Activate Kiosk" pop-up. There are several options here, but all are optional except for supplying the activation code:
Note: Location, Organization, Save Settings after first activation, and disable late check-in, can either be left blank, OR we can configure your activation screen to not display these options if they are not needed. If you wish to 'hide' any of those activation options - please open a support ticket and make the request.
1. Timezone: If the kiosk is being used in the same time zone as the 'affiliate time zone' there is no need to change the default time zone listed. If you are a national organization however with projects taking place in multiple time zones, then your 'affiliate time zone' may be different than the time zone the kiosk is actually being used in (i.e. the "kiosk time zone"). In that case select the correct time zone that the kiosk is being used in.
You can do this in one of two ways: Either select the time zone from the picklist of values, or, click on the "Get Timezone from device" link , which will automatically pick the correct time zone based on the location of your device. (Isn't that handy?!)
2. Location: By default the check-in kiosk, if configured to allow guest sign-up, will display ALL occurrences taking place that day, no matter the location. Use this field if you wish to filter the available occurrences to just those taking place at one specific location. Otherwise just leave it blank! (No need to select 'all')
3. Organization: By default the check-in kiosk, if configured to allow guest sign-up, will display ALL occurrences taking place that day, no matter which organization is managing the opportunity. Use this field if you wish to filter the available occurrences to just those managed by one organization. Otherwise just leave it blank! (No need to select 'all')
4. Save Settings after First Activation: By default, the kiosk requires you to activate ('unlock') it each day - and each day will present the options to filter by location or organization, or set a different time zone. For this behavior, just choose None. The kiosk will automatically lock itself after 24 hours.
The other options you can save here are these:
- Only Configuration (daily activation is required). After initially activating the kiosk, the filters will be hidden and maintained. (i.e. if you are using no filters, because you want all occurrences to be displayed in the kiosk), that can be saved, and each day you'll only be asked for the activation code. A simpler activation process if you wish to hide the filters from your kiosk activators.
- Configuration & Activation: With this setting, the kiosk will remain activated day after day. This has some possible security down-side as anyone will be able to use the kiosk on this device even without someone activating it... but if you have a permanently placed kiosk and wish it to be 'always live' - then choose to save this setting.
5. Disable Late Check-Ins (minutes). When left blank, volunteers can check in any time before of after the scheduled start time of their connection. If however, you put in a number here, it represents the number of minutes, after which a volunteer is not allowed to check-in. This is normally left blank, but if, for example you are using the kiosk for court ordered volunteers and have a requirement that they can't arrive more than 15 minutes late... then you'd populate this field with 15, and after 15 minutes they would not be able to check-in. Instead they'd see this message:.
6. Check in no earlier than (Minutes before connection start) - If enabled in your kiosk, this allows the activator to specify a limit to how early a volunteer can check in. A default value will appear, but can be edited. (If this feature isn't enabled, volunteers can check in as early as they wish on the day their connection is scheduled).
7. Activation Code: Enter the activation code for your affiliate's kiosk. (Note: Activation code is the same for all your kiosks. This just serves to ensure that the device is only unlocked by Opportunity Coordinators in charge of the project).
8. Activate: Click on this to unlock the kiosk in its current configuration
The activated kiosk screen:
Once unlocked, your kiosk will look like this (depending on the configurations you chose for colors, welcome message, etc) It has three elements you should be aware of:
1. Email Entry Field: This is the only field your volunteers need to interact with when initially checking in. They enter their email address. If they have a confirmed connection they'll be checked in and presented with a success screen. Depending on your guest and team configurations they will receive additional prompts and/or messages as appropriate.
2. Submit Button - Click on 'submit' after entering your email address.
3. Request Access cog - Clicking on this will show the current configuration in the kiosk (in case you want to double check). If you've chosen to save the previous configuration daily, or to not require reentering an activation code and wish to make changes -- you can enter your activation code on this screen and reset your settings.
4. Close Kiosk Icon - clicking on the close kiosk icon will give you the option of locking the kiosk. If clicked on, it prompts you again for the activation code. To close or reset, enter the activation code. If a volunteer curiously clicks on either of the two small icons on the lower right and doesn't have the activation code (which of course they don't), they won't be able to close or reset the kiosk. Click on the "X" to return to the home screen without closing the kiosk. If you DO want to close or reset the kiosk, enter the activation code and click on the Close or Submit button.
The kiosk automatically returns to the welcome page 10 seconds after check-in is complete.
Depending on your configuration, the kiosk will check in confirmed volunteers, and guest volunteers according to the configuration you chose. Volunteers will either reach a success page saying they have successfully checked-in (displaying the Success Text you specified when configuring the kiosk), or, if they are not a valid check-in (i.e. no connection exists and they don't meet your guest check-in criteria), they will see a message explaining what they need to do to complete check-in. (This may be "see the opportunity coordinator for further information" if you don't allow guests to check-in at all).
The kiosk allows approximately 10 seconds for the user to read the success or invalid check-in message, and then automatically resets to the home page so that the next volunteer can check-in. (Or, the volunteer can attempt to check-in again, if for example, they typed in the wrong email address. Whoops!)
Checking in is quick and easy to use! Volunteers are able to check-in early and they will still be marked as attended. They can also check-in late (up to the end-time of the occurrence).
See this article on how the kiosk operates if team check-in is enabled.
See this article on using the kiosk with check-in / check-out enabled.
See this article on having HandsOn Connect automatically mark those who did not attend as 'not attended".
1. The kiosk will automatically relock itself:
- After 24 hours (unless you have chosen
- If you quit your browser
- If you manually use the "Close Kiosk" icon and re-enter the activation key.
Add your comment