Importing Volunteer Opportunities via the Data Loader
Do you have many Volunteer Opportunities that you would like to get into your HOC system but you don't want to use the Volunteer Opportunity Wizard? The Data Loader (or similar tool) would be a great choice for getting that done. This is considered advanced data management.
Access the Data Mapping Table for preparing your data.
The Master field list will list all of the fields in each object and give the picklist values, help tips and notes. By using the Occurrences tab within the Data Mapping table, you will be able to prepare the file for import. Click here to access the Data Tables page.
Go to the Volunteer Opportunity tab and click on "Download As" and choose csv
Keep in mind: Individually Scheduled Volunteer Opportunities can only have ONE occurrence which is auto-created during this process, so for any Date & Time Specific Volunteer Opportunities, you MUST also create occurrences. If you need to import Occurrences as part of this process, please visit this post on Importing Occurrences. You can also create occurrences manually within Salesforce.
Prepare Your Data
To add Volunteer Opportunities, you will need some information from your system before you begin to create your data file. You will need to know your:
- Managing Organization ID
- Organization Served ID
- Hosting Organization ID
- Volunteer Coordinator ID
- Location ID
You can find the ID from the address bar for each record. This ID will either be a 15- or 18-digit case-sensitive value.
Create your Import File
Remember, much of the data at the Volunteer Opportunity level is default data and used in the creation of occurrences. Some of this information once set CANNOT BE CHANGED (indicated by *). Also, refer to the master picklist values or custom values within your instance to ensure correct population of information. In addition to explanations, recommended defaults will be listed below.
These are the REQUIRED fields in order to have usable Volunteer Opportunities
- Import ID = any unique value you would like to assign to this opportunity in order to more easily match for importing Occurrences
- Volunteer Opportunity Name = Name of the Volunteer Opportunity
- Managed By = either Affiliate (you) or Partner (done through the portal)
- Managing Organization* = ID for the Organization that will be getting notifications. If you select "Managed by Affiliate", this will be the ID of YOUR Organization (the HOC Customer record)
- Hosting Organization* = ID for the HOC Customer (your organization)
- Organization Served* = ID for the Organization that will benefit from this Volunteer Opportunity. Locations should be 'owned' by this Organization
- Default Location = ID for the Location
- Description = can be plain text or HTML
- Start Date = formatted mm/dd/yyyy
- End Date = formatted mm/dd/yyyy - must be after the start date
- Opportunity Coordinator = ID
- Status = Active
- Type = Project
- Maximum Attendance = must be greater than 1
- Minimum Age (w/ adult)
- Minimum Age
- Minimum Attendance = must be greater than 0
- Primary Impact Area = Other (choose from your picklist values)
- Registration Cutoff = must be in hours
- Schedule Type* = either Individually Scheduled or Date & Time Specific
- Registration Type* = Sign-up or Express Interest Only
- Age Groups Served = All ages
- Genders Served = All Genders Served
- Populations Served = Other (choose from your picklist values)
* - these cannot be changed once set
Once your data has been populated, be sure to save your file as a .csv for import.
Import your Data using the Data Loader
Here is an example of the fields necessary to import into the system. Save this file as a CSV, and you will then begin your import.
Open the Data Loader
Click on either "Insert" and then proceed to login to your system. Insert will always create new, while Upsert will either create new or update existing (and match on any externally available ID such as the Import ID or the Salesforce ID).
Link to the Volunteer Opportunity Object
If at a later time you decide you want to update these (or any) Volunteer Opportunities and you chose Upsert rather than Insert, you would then be prompted to match on an ID field. Since you're including the import ID, you would then select HOC__Volunteer_Opportunity__c. You must have the Import ID in your file or SF ID in your file to do an Upsert. If you chose "Update" you MUST use the Salesforce ID to make changes.
Map your Fields
Click on "Create or Edit a Map." The mapping dialog will pop up. You can click on "Auto-Match Fields to Columns" or click and drage the fields from the top to the bottom section if you would prefer (some may not map). If you auto-match, you still should verify that the fields were matched appropriately. Click "OK" once all fields necessary have been matched. Then click on "Next."
Tip - there are additional fields available on the Volunteer Opportunity object - you may even have custom fields on this object. All of these fields can be mapped in this process if you include them in your data file.
Select where to save the success/failure files
You should create a folder or designate a location for all success and failure files to be saved for your reference after your import.
Complete the Import
Click on "Finish" to begin the import. You will be prompted with a warning stating what you will be doing ("You have chosen to insert new records.") and you must confirm that this is what you wanted to do. As the data is being imported, you will see the successes and failures for the import.
You are then giving the opportunity to see your successes or any errors. Click "OK" to return to the main Data Loader screen.
Check your data
Verify that the data was properly imported into your Salesforce Instance and that for any Individually Scheduled Volunteer Opportunity that was created, an Occurrence was also created.
Remember - if you created any Individually Scheduled Opportunities through an Import - you MUST create related Occurrences in order for them to be visible on your public site in order for volunteers to register. To review documentation on importing occurrences, click here