GDPR and CCPA Compliant Cookie Banner using a Third-Party Service
To have your HandsOn Connect site comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and/or California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requirements for site cookies, we are recommending that using a third-party Cookie Consent Solution for GDPR and CCPA Compliance, such as CookieYes. (We are not endorsing any one third-party solution.)
Under GDPR, for example, site visitors must be able to see the list of cookies used by the site and opt-out of non-necessary cookies such as those that gather metrics and track the user for advertising purposes.
GDPR and CCPA can also change, and using a reputable third-party Cookie Consent Solution can help make sure you are always compliant.
HandsOn Connect basic Cookie Consent Banner is called a Cookie Wall. An all-or-nothing approach to accept or not cookies, which is no longer GDPR compliant.
Third-party Cookie Consent Solutions provide a very comprehensive set of options and tracking to meet compliance requirements. As they specialize in compliance, they will also stay up to date with the latest regulations. It also gives you, the customer, the choice of which solution to use.
Third-party Cookie Consent Solution Implementation
You must first create an account with the third-party Cookie Consent service. There are many available, most paid, but some give you for free a basic banner. This document is written to take advantage of CookieYes' free version. Follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.cookieyes.com and click on the Sign Up for Free button.
- Follow the instruction in this video https://youtu.be/dsbwigoTjNI.
- When asked for the website URL, enter the domain of your HandsOn Connect site (e.g., https://www.myhocsite.org).
- Our support team will install the code on your HandsOn Connect site.
- On the CookieYes website, continue to the dashboard. You can further configure your cookie banner. Continue to see the video from step 2 for more details.
- Our team will let you know when the cookie banner code is installed.
This solution replaces the HandsOn Connect or LlamaSite CMS Cookie Consent Banner. Hence, if you have it enabled, go ahead and disable it:
- Log in to your HandsOn Connect or LlamaSite CMS.
- Go to Blocks -> System Forms -> Cookie Consent Banner.
- Set the option "Enable Cookie Consent" "No".
Selecting a Third-party Cookie Consent Solution