Search Results Block
The Search Results block allows you to use Search Results and Calendar layouts to show your opportunities.
There are four different display formats available for search results blocks: Listing, Listing with Tiles, Calendar, or Calendar with Tiles.
Search results blocks are used for the default /search and /calendar page, and are configured by updating the
These layouts display the results as tiles in a grid layout, where each tile is a volunteer opportunity. You can also use the Search Results Block to create Corporate Pages or display private opportunities with an invitation code.
Note that this block requires a good understanding of the CMS and HOC. If you do not see it in your CMS "Blocks" menu, please contact us at Customer Support.
Here is an example of the calendar layout with tiles (with Show Images turned on) using the Search Results Block:
As you can see above, the Search Results Block also supports thumbnail images (optional), which you can help automate using a Salesforce Process Builder. See the following related posts:
- How to upload images for use in the Featured Opportunity Block
- Featured Opportunity and Search Results Blocks - Set default images
To get started with the Search Results Block, select "Search Result" from the Block Menu in the CMS utility bar and add a new search result block (note that your available CMS blocks vary depending on the version of HOC that you are using).
Define the parameters for your block
- Name your Search Results block. We recommend being descriptive, e.g., "Main Search Results".
- Select the CMS region where you want your video to appear.
- If you need to create a Corporate Page or utilize private opportunities change the Corporate Page settings to Yes.
- Give your block a Title (optional)
- Results Text: Use this space to add custom text or copy that'll be shown after the search results appear on the page.
- Set the block preferences:
- Listing: Search results are presented in a list based on your filters.
- Listing with Tiles: Search results displayed in a grid format ordered by the search criteria selected.
- Calendar: Search results presented in a Calendar format based on your filters.
- Calendar with Tiles: Search results presented in a grid format grouped by day. Only days with opportunities are shown.
- Set Default Value Distance if you want to restrict the search radius (in miles or kilometers)
- Sort By: Search results can be sorted by Distance, Alphabetically, Most Recently Created, or Next Occurrence Date. (Only shows up when using Listing Display Format)
- Distance Sort Priority: Set which type of opportunities should appear first. You can set Physical or Virtual opportunities to appear first.
- Set the Search Settings and Filters. This is what the user sees and the options they have to narrow their search (labels are self-explanatory). Toggle on or off as desired. Your Default Display Format will determine which settings are available. Those sections with a "+" sign next to them, can be expanded giving you granular control over which filters in that section you do or don't wish to display.
- Show Sort by Filters
- Show View By Section (Available with Listing only)
- Show Availability Section
- Show Type Opportunity Section
- Show Who to Serve Section
- Show Appropriate For Section
- Show Invitation Code Section
- Show My Searches Section
- Show Image (Available if using Tiles)
- Show Distance Field
- Show Zipcode in Location
- Show Location Type Dropdown
- Show Keywords
- If you are using images for your opportunities, you can choose the display them by toggling on the Show Image option. See this article for information on adding images
- Show Zipcode in Location: Displays city and zip to the search result tile for each opportunity.
- Display Format:
- Use the advanced settings to specify which page(s) you want this block to appear on, and in what order relative to other blocks or content on the page.
- Save the Settings of your new block.
- You are done!
Linking your Search Results Block to a Basic Search Block
Once you create a Search Result Block, it will be available in your Basic Search Blocks under the Redirect to Search settings. If you select here a Search Result Block when a user starts a search on the related Basic Search Block the results will be displayed using your Search Result Block, instead of the "classic" search results.
Once New Search has been activated for your site, your basic search, and searches from Browse Organizations and Volunteer Events will automatically go to the search block labeled "System Default Search".
the URL /search will go to the search result block labeled "System Default Search". This is also the search results block which will be used if you search on the opportunities in a special event, or search for opportunities for a specific organization from the Browse Organizations page.
The URL /calendar will go to the search result block labeled "System Default Calendar"